Q:fixing a filesystem compliance bug

Well I recived my e-mail last niht and now have an acount and am done
registering
as a package maintainer for xfstt
I was going to make an upload of the current package I have
(fixes one wishlist bug..and a few bugs that were not debian-reported
with
a new version of upstream source)
and leave the other bug (it violates botht hte FSSTND and FHS..but not
in a way
that breaks any other package)
for after that...but I figured it should be simple...might as well
tackle this now
the basic problem is that when the program was written it was set to
store truetype fonts for the server in /usr/ttfonts
the package maintainer before me changed this to /var/ttfonts
(which I agree is also wrong...but I think is "less wrong" than
/usr/ttfonts)
I am planning to put them in /usr/share/fonts/ttfonts ( I think...I have
a note at home
about what the actual dir name is...I am not home now so...just mentaly
insert the proper
location and name there if thats wrong )
so how should i do that?
I was thinking add a preinst script which checks for the existance of
/var/ttfonts
(and just for shits and giggles /usr/ttfonts )
and prompts the user saying that the new location is X and ask whether
they should
be automatically moved there
I would assume I should try to do a copy of it first to make sure it
moves properly
(just in case /usr/share is full at this point or something like that)
also...will it be easy for me to check if /var/ttfonts is a symbolic
link?
it is suggested in the docs that some people will want to just
ln -s /dos/windows/fonts /usr/ttfonts (obviously or /var/ttfonts)
does all of this sound right? how can I easily check ina  script if
something is a
symbolic link? 9and if it is...can I easily recrate it somewhere else?)
of course I will need to prompt the user for some of this stuff
(would be bad form to just move directories around quietly)
also: side note:
I should probably prompt on a new install anyway because xfstt comes
with no fonts
and is useless with no fonts (wont start and run)
and most ttfonts have weird licenses and I am yet to find one DFSG
compliant
does anyone know of one (even a simple one) that  I could include just
so that
the server will at least start? (or if its possible to come up with a
few,
maybe make a separate package out of some fonts and recommend those
during
install?)
-Steve
--