Advice on whether/how to close a bug

There's an annoying bug in fvwm95 that I'd like to close (actually,
there are several, but the rest are for another day).  Here's the bug
- if one installs fvwm95 but does not install the "menu" package, then
fvwm95 uses the menu derived from the example fvwm95rc provided in the
upstream source (rather than leave the user high and dry without
anything in the menu).  So far so good.

Now, the example fvwm95rc includes references to programs that don't
exist on any debian system (or exist under a different name).
Specifically, the upstream example refers several times to
"color_xterm".

So here's the bug (#13653) report (yes, it's basically this short):
Subject: fvwm95: fvwm95 tries to use color_xterm
However, there is no binary named color_xterm on my system.

The apparent cause is that the user didn't have the menu package
installed and was using the upstream example fvwm95rc.

So I have a few options: make fvwm95 depend on menu (it currently
Recommends: menu, but only Suggested it at the time of the bug
report); modify the default menu to not include color_xterm (note that
it may still include programs which aren't installed/aren't in
debian); close the bug because anyone who ignores a Recommends should
expect some decrease in functionality; (Before you dismiss that option
outright as developer arrogance, consider that any bug to xbase that
says "I installed xbase (but no xserver) and nothing graphical
happens" will be closed with a polite note saying that the user should
satisfy xbase's Recommends: field and install an xserver); or rewrite
the menu used in the default case so that the only programs appearing
in it are those in standard (or essential) Debian packages, or in the
packages fvwm95 depends on.

So how should I clear out this old bug?