Re: Config file format [may] change

>>>>> On 17 Apr 1998 07:55:24 +0200, Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@tripnet.se> said:

 Turbo> One of the config files for my package (I'm also the author of
 Turbo> this) may change... I'm planing on a rewrite/ cleanup...

 Turbo> How to I 'force' a user to install the new one, when they
 Turbo> upgrade? I'm thinking about dpkg's 'Okay to install new
 Turbo> version (N is usually ok)' or what ever it exactly say...

I'd check in the postinst to see whether it was upgraded, and if not
upgrade it there.  It should leave a <config file>.dpkg-dist file
sitting there if they didn't upgrade.  Check for that and copy it over
the <config file> if necessary (of course make sure that any changes
to <config file> get copied into the new file.  Else why would they
have not wanted <config file> to be overwritten).

(Someone correct me if this isn't possible.)

Or you can do like sysvinit and pop up a message in preinst that says
something like 'If you don't allow the system to upgrade your <config
file> things will break since the format of the config file has
file> changed.  Please say Yes if it asks you whether to upgrade.'

Dres
--
@James LewisMoss <dres@dimensional.com> |  Blessed Be!
@    http://www.dimensional.com/~dres   |  Linux is kewl!