Re: lintian warnings (help)

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:
> Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> > What have I missed? (This is _EXACLY_ as it says in the 'mktemp' manual
> > page!!!)
>
> Yes, that should be safe. Lintian probably just does a simple check. You
> should mail the maintainers and ask for a lintian "override" for your
> package.

Better yet, ask them to fix the check itself.  For instance, in one of
my maintainer scripts, one often wants to put something like:

if [ -x /usr/sbin/config-bar ]; then config-bar foo ; fi

However, my aesthetic sensibilities were offended by the fact that the
check for the executable did not match the invokation of the
executable, and that I was hard-coding a path in a maintainer script.
What if paths to sysadmin scripts changes in FHS?  Or FHS v3?  That
would be a pain to have to fix/branch all these scripts.

Therefore I decided this approach was superior:

if command -v config-bar >/dev/null 2>&1 ; then config-bar foo ; fi

However, 'lintian' didn't like this little refinement, silly little
heuristics that it uses, so I submitted a wishlist bug against lintian
to fix it.  And Christian did, right away!

BTW, 'command -v' is POSIX compliant, and is understood by all shells
I've tested for.