Where is the order of versions specified?

I know I read this at one point, and I _think_ I remember most of it
correctly, but which doc. describes how dpkg compares version numbers?
I think that in the case of tkdesk I may have to use epochs (the
upstream authors have 1.0-beta-1 through 1.0-beta-5 coming before
1.0-pre-1, which comes before 1.0 - am I correct in assuming dpkg will
think people are downgrading if I just call the package 1.0?)