Re: How should I deal with config. file moves?

Anand Kumria <wildfire@progsoc.uts.edu.au> writes:

> With your proposed scheme: warn on fvwm95-n and fail on fvwm95-(n+1); it
> means if I never install fvwm95-n but instead skip straight to
> fvwm95-(n+1) I miss out on the warning and am told that the installation
> isn't possible until I delete the old system.fvwm95rc-menu

No, you miss how I'm doing it - the preinst gives the long warning if
and only if the -menu file was one of the config. files of the
previously installed fvwm95; otherwise, yes, there would be the
problem you refer to.

Another way to put it is that the type of warnings you get depend not
on what version you're upgrading TO, but what version you're upgrading
FROM.

This doesn't mean that it still might not be better to simply issue
warnings and never do the 'exit 1' in the preinst.