What exactly is the order of steps to becoming a new maintainer?

After looking at the most recent WNPP list, I decided that there were
packages (specifically, fvwm95 and tkdesk) that I would be willing to
maintain, so I then read the documentation on www.debian.org on
applying to become a maintainer.

However, after reading that documentation and what the WNPP has to say
about what to do in the event one wants to take over a package, I'm a
bit confused about what I should do next.  (I've already gotten the
sources for fvwm95 and made it compile nicely; tkdesk sources seem
harder to come by, as tkdesk appears to have vanished from hamm).

Should I:
a) post my intent to take over these packages to debian-devel
b) inform wnpp@debian.org and the package maintainers of my desire to
   take over these packages.
c) send in my application to become a debian maintainer, complete with
   signed scan of my passport
d) make non-maintainer versions of these packages so that when I apply
   to be a maintainer I can point to these .debs to say "see, I know
   how to make packages"

Any guidance appreciated.