Re: build from CVS and upload

> Hi!
>
> I build my packages from CVS and it works very good. But
> now I don't know, if I can upload the resulting .tar.gz.
>
> Since the CVS is the upstream CVS and the debian directory
> is already in, it would be the best solution. But somehow
> I interprete the policy in the way, that just debian-specific
> packages can use this upload methode.

This can be done
"if the package is specially prepared for Debian or the Debian maintainer
is the same as the upstream maintainer", according to the packaging manual.
I'd say that you can be considered the upstream maintainer (or at least
an upstream maintainer, since you have write access), so it should be ok.

Since many packages now can be made from cvs sources, and this is a very
reasonable thing to do¹, I think the manual should be changed to explicitly
say that this situation is ok.

¹I for one want to have the latest KDE, but I cannot easily install
packages depending on kdelibs, since I don't have the package installed.
When the debian subdir is installed in cvs, I can just checkout and build
the latest package myself. The same goes for gtk+, gnome and gimp.
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\ Ole J. Tetlie, stud. CS & math, U. of Oslo /\/\/\/\/\/\
olet@ifi.uio.no | http://www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~olet/ | Take a look at: