Re: Packaging strategy for dict

At 18:29 -0800 1998-03-26, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
>I would say have two packages.  Server (containing server+client) and
>client.  Most people are probably better off with the client package.  Set
>the dependancies such that dpkg and dselect would not install both the
>server and client package.

There is no reason to have such duplication, the server package should have
just the server and the client package should have just the client.

>>      The debian/rules file can be written to produce both packages.
>> In such a case would the uploaded package consist of one source package
>> and two .debs ?
>
>I would say 2 sources and 2 binaries to make things simple.

No, that's a very bad idea. There should only be one source package, since
the upstream source contains both the server and the client.
One of the only reasons not to use pristine upstream source is in cases
where the source can't be handled by dpkg-source (e.g. tarballs that unpack
their files and directories into the current directory).
Another case is when the upstream source consists of several archives (e.g.
glibc).

--
Joel "Espy" Klecker    <mailto:jk@espy.org>    <http://web.espy.org/>
Debian GNU/Linux Developer...................<http://www.debian.org/>