Re: mtr done, someone care to test?

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Anand Kumria wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Scott Ellis wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Anand Kumria wrote:
> >
> > No, moving normal files is completly transparent.  Although I have a
> > general objection to moving mtr into /usr/sbin, I use network diagnostic
> > programs all the time on my local machine and moving them to sbin just
> > makes them more annoying to get at without adding extra security.
>
> I know, so do I. However I thought it best to place mtr (a traceroute
> variant) in the same location as the real traceroute (/usr/sbin), on the
> presumption that if you are already using these tools you will likely have
> /usr/sbin in your path. Do you think this is something I should raise on
> debian-devel/debian-policy? Perhaps /usr/sbin should be in the default
> path?

Actually, I used traceroute a lot, but I got around the problem by
symlinking it into /usr/local/bin.  /usr/sbin should not be in default
paths.  I expect that a discussion on why traceroute is getting hidden may
be appropriate however.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/