Re: conventions for packaging (ie: docs)

[You (Bill Leach)]
>Has the idea been discussed about seperating out more of the
>documentation packages from the executable packages?
>
>It has seemed to me that it would be a great benefit to many sysadms if
>most packages like smail, sendmail, qmail, apache, etc. had their
>documentation in seperate packages that were suggested by the executable
>and installable independently.  Optionally dpkg/dselect (diety?) could
>be changed to intentionally do partial package installations.

OTOH, more packages means more packages, which makes for more stuff to be
managed (i.e., package updates).

Personally, I don't think doc packages should be separate unless they are
huge!  I.e., over 1MB.  Maybe when a decent "grouping" system or better
interface comes out,  I'll change my tune.  I.e., deity.

Mind you, I think splitting docs is generally a good idea, i.e., for
stripped down routers or for having doco for stuff which isn't installed
locally.  It's just going to cause problems for package management.