Re: Could someone please check my packages?

[You (Magosanyi Arpad)]
>> if I get a quick connection to it). If you take a look at vrwave
>> (Java-based) it depends on "jdk-shared | jdk-static". But, alas, those are
>> the name of JDK 1.0.2 (stable) packages, JDK 1.1 packages aren't named
>> that way. Is there any way I can say that it depends on jdk (just as
>> sometimes you use depends: mail-reader...).

Virtual package names are regulated by policy.  If you have the
`debian-policy' and `dwww' packages installed locally, as well as a web
server, you can read them at

http://localhost/cgi-bin/dwww?type=file&location=/usr/doc/debian-policy/virtual-package-names-list.text.gz

On Debian mirrors this file is doc/package-developer/virtual-package-names-list.text

It doesn't seem that there are any virtual package provided by Java. You
perhaps should raise the issue with the jdk package maintainer or the
virtual package maintainer (finding email addresses left as an exercise
for the reader).

>> 	I also say that "Provides: vrml-browser"... is this correct, i.e.
>> can I just make up any tags like that? (I suppose not)

No.

>Whom I must ask?
>For all these virtual package names there is a procedure to create them. As
>far as I can remember you should tell the need for them in debian-policy as
>the first step. You might want to check with the jdk maintainer regarding a
>virtual package name for jdk.

Exactly. For now you can put
 "Requires: jdk1.1-runtime | <other jdk providing package>"

See the document above and the Policy 2.4.0.0 section 2.3.5.