Re: My first packages -- some questions.

Hi,
>>"Kirk" == Kirk Hilliard <kirk@ghoti.com> writes:

Kirk> Thanks Manoj, Scott, and Igor for answering my questions. Manoj,
Kirk> if you have that "Working set of rules files as a learning
Kirk> example" available, then yes, I would like a copy.  You
Kirk> mentioning mailing it.  That would be fine, or I could grab it
Kirk> off you web site if you made it available there.

	Unfortunately, I am behind a 28.8 modem, and am not on 7/24; I
 may try to get them on the developers corner if there is enough
 interest. (I'll email it separately).

Kirk> For instance, is dpkg-buildpackage just another helper script,
Kirk> or is it something that all but the most ardent
Kirk> do-it-your-selfer use, or does most everybody actually use
Kirk> build?

	It is a convenience thing. I used to build by hand, and then
 sign stuff, but this is quite convenient; it is not so complex that
 one does not know what is going on. After building packages by hand
 for years, and dissecting what dpkg-buildpackage does, I (an ardent
 anti-helper-script-person) use it all the time (well, that's a lie, I
 use cvs-buildpackage all the time now).

Kirk> Is the big difference between debmake and doing-it-yourself just
Kirk> implementing "debstd" line in debian/rules?

	I think so.

Kirk> If that is the case, then perhaps the outline in
Kirk> /usr/doc/debmake/HOWTO.first_time applies to the "by hand"
Kirk> method as well.  If not, then I would love to see such an
Kirk> outline.

	Couls you post/email the outline?  (I have no idea what that
 says)

	manoj
--
 "I go on working for the same reason a hen goes on laying eggs."
 Mencken