Re: Installing XWindows

[ Please direct your submission to debian-user@lists.debian.org
which is the proper list for such things.]

crown victoria wrote:
> I installed the Debian's linux base system on my PC.
> I tried launching the X Windows, however I could
> not locate startx or xdm programs in the Unix directories.
> I would like to ask what I need to install to start the
> X Window system.

Apparently you haven't installed all packages you need.

Please fetch one of these files (depending on your version
of Debian):

ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/potato/Contents-i386.gz
ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/slink/Contents-i386.gz
ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/hamm/Contents-i386.gz

And zgrep to find out which package is missing.

Regards,

	Joey

not tried it.  -- Donald E. Knuth