Re: replacing packages

I wrote:
> I proposed a solution a while back on debian-devel that was generally
> conceded to be workable, but was found somehow distasteful.  If you can't
> find it in the archives I'll try to regenerate it.

I dug it out of my memory:

A is to split into C and D.  problem: only one of them can replace A.  This
won't bother new installs, but the user doing 'apt-get upgrade' will see
some of the functionality of A vanish.  This violates the principle of
least astonishment.  My solution is to create the dummy package B, which
replaces A and depends on C and D.  The new install will never see it, but
it will make sure that no functionality is lost on upgrade.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)