Re: Policy concerning emacs lisp files

Scott Ellis wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Julian Gilbey wrote:
>
> > Is there any standard policy concerning the installing of emacs lisp
> > files contained in a package?  Having looked in the /usr/share/emacs
> > and /usr/lib/emacsen-common trees, it seems to me that most packages
> > install their .el files under /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp and their
> > compiled .elc files under /usr/share/emacs/$flavor/site-lisp, and the
> > compilation is controlled by
> > /usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/install/$package.
> >
> > Am I right?  Is this written down anywhere?  If not, it should be!
>
> It's documented in /usr/doc/emacen-common/

That's /usr/doc/emacsen-common/debian-emacs-policy.gz

The only fussy thing is whether to have the install .el file be in a
directory or not:

/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debview/deb-view.el
or
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnuserv.el

My feeling is that is the pacakge installs a single elisp file named
PACKAGE.el then it should go in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ else it or they
should go in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/PACKAGE/

This is _contrary_ to debian-emacs-policy but is in use.  Policy says you
should create a PACKAGE subdirectory.
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada