Re: Maintaining a non-US package?

On Wed, Nov 04, 1998 at 11:14:48PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 31, 1998 at 06:48:51PM +1100, Chris Leishman wrote:
> > The postinst modifies the /etc/exports file to add a 2 lines as follows
>
> I don't know about /crypt etc; obviously the FSSTND/FHS doesn't exactly
> say anything about it. But modifying another package's configuration files
> (ie /etc/exports) is not allowed.
>
> Unless the nfs-server package provides a mechanism for you to add
> stuff to /etc/exports, you have to let the user do it.

Hmm...thats annoying (but probably reasonable).  I would, however, like
to make the installation as transparent as possible, without complicating
the matter with making the user add stuff by hand (and having to explain
why).  The major problem in this case is that the package relies very, very
heavily on the nfs system, and won't work without a dummy entry in there....

Is it reasonable to prompt the user and ask if they would like it added (and
removed at postinst)?  Or is that still bad?

Thanks,

Chris

REALITY.SYS corrupted: Reboot universe? (Y/N/Q)   ....Debian GNU/Linux
Reply with subject 'request key' for PGP public key.  KeyID 0xA9E087D5