NMU: Incompatibility between dpkg-dev and developers-reference

I am building a package for a NMU based on a new upstream release.
Section 5.5 of the developers-reference manual states:

    If it is absolutely necessary for someone other than the usual
    maintainer to make a release based on a new upstream version then
    the person making the release should start with the debian-revision
    value 0.1.

When I use a debian-revision 0.1, information about the .orig.tar.gz is
_not_ included in the .changes file.  This means that my upload will be
rejected (because it is a matter of a new upstream release).  On the
other hand, when I use a debian-revision equal to 0, everything works
fine.

I suppose that some script in dpkg-dev works incompatibly with the
instructions in developers-reference.

Any help/patch/comments?

--
Rafael Laboissiere