Re: How is the freeze enforced?

On Thu, Oct 22, 1998 at 09:24:42AM -0400, Dale E. Martin wrote:

> There is a new upstream version of the package that I maintain.  I'd like
> to package it and upload it ASAP, but I don't want to "violate" the code
> freeze somehow.  Is it up to the developers to enforce the freeze by not
> uploading new packages, or is it handled at the other end by not merging
> new packages that don't close bugs?

Go ahead and upload.

The freeze works like this:

At the time of the freeze a "snapshot" of unstable is made. This snapshot
becomes "Frozen" and then "Frozen" and "Unstable" fork.

You Can NOT upload new packages into frozen. You CAN specify that an uploaded
package go into frozen but anything going into frozen needs to be aproved by
the releace manager (and new packages will NOT be aproved - except maybe
in the most bizzare of urgent of circumstances I guess)

The ONLY changes that are allowed to go into frozen are bug fixes which
fix some important issue. Thi sis of course at the discresion of the
releace manager (many things get rejected...and sometimes it causes little
squabbles but...thats to be expected in any project ;) )

You can (and should) however continue uploading to unstable. At the
moment the Freeze begins...hmmm....

maybe im out of date? I thought the freeze had begun already?
looking at ftp.debian.org I see:

unstable -> slink

and there is no frozen link? Well...I became a developer just as the hamm
freeze began so...thats how it worked for hamm.

Then again...maybe the freeze hasn't begun yet? Is my concept of time that far
off? (or is ftp.debian.org AFU?) or is it working differntly this time?

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"