UDP socket assignment for CIPE?

I am beginning to experiment with the CIPE encrypted IP tunnel system from
Olaf Titz.  One of the features of this program is that it sends/listens
to a UDP socket that is user configurable. I should like to pick a
port and to make it the same for all of my tunnels but I do not want to
step on something that might likely be in use on a new system being added.

There is currently no assignment either in the standard internet or in the
Debian assignments set aside for CIPE.

Your suggestions are solicited on how I should go about attempting to
assign some standard UPD port while being reasonably sure that it will not
be already in use at the other end or assigned in the near future to
something else by Debian.

Thanks.

BTW, my employer purchased three Debian boxes from LSL today with the
potential of more on the way.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!