Re: Packages with shared libraries

Samuel Tardieu wrote:
> 1) Man pages and info files
> - ---------------------------
> It looks like the man page is being included in the three
> distribution. How can I prevent this?

Are you using debhelper and dh_installmanpages to install the man pages
automatically? dh_installmanpages has some brain-dead behavior (even I think
this, and I wrote it), that it defaults to installing all man pages into all
binary packages, which is almost never what you really want. Use -p to work
around it (ie, "dh_installmanpages -pxdelta" to only install the manpages
into the xdelta package).

I plan to correct this at some point, probably by writing a new version of
dh_installmanpages.

> Is there a way to let xdelta know that it depends onto libxdelta1
> because of the shared library dependency, maybe using a shared library
> mapping file?

Maybe try a debian/shlibs.local file?

> 3) Shared dependency again
> - --------------------------
> Since I have a debian/libxdelta1.files file, at the time of ldd on
> xdelta, the libxdelta1.so library cannot be found and I had to add a
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=debian/libxdelta1/usr/lib before dh_shlibdeps. Is
> there another way to do this? Shouldn't it add this automatically,
> getting this information from the debian/control file?

I can't think of any general way to make debhelper look at the control file
and know it needs to set a LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I typically hardcode this dependancy info into the control file when I'm in
this siutation. Anyone else have a better way to handle it?

> 4) Links to shared libraries in *deb file
> - -----------------------------------------
> Lintian reports:
> W: libxdelta1: non-dev-pkg-with-shlib-symlink usr/lib/libxdelta.so.1.0.0 usr/lib/libxdelta.so
> What should I do about this?

W: libxdelta1: non-dev-pkg-with-shlib-symlink usr/lib/libxdelta.so.1.0.0 usr/lib/libxdelta.so
N:
N:   Though this package is not a -dev' package, it installs a symbolic
N:   link referencing the corresponding shared library, where the link name
N:   does not include the version number of the shared library.
N:
N:   If there is also a -dev' package for this shared library, this is
N:   most likely a bug. If this is a small package which includes the
N:   runtime and the development libraries, this is not a bug. In the
N:   latter case, please contact lintian-maint@debian.org about this so
N:   that this error gets included in the overrides file for Lintian. (With
N:   that, Lintian will ignore this bug in the future.)
N:

Don't install that symlink in the xdelta1 package, put it in xdelta1-dev.

--
see shy jo