Re: Why only one non-free section?

On 14-Sep-1998, Sven <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:
> > Some Universities impose this sort of intellectual property control
> > from above.
>
> this is true, but all of the above, not speaking about this particular case,
> has something that make me think about all the free software stuff.
>
> what if i release a software under some kind of DFSG compliant
> license. someone can simply come and sell the stuff. making profit
> from it, but never giving some of it back to the author or the Free
> software community.
>
> do we really need that some people make money of the free software for
> it to be successful ?

If they are making a profit, it is because they are providing a
wothwhile service to people -- they are distributing software.
If you want to get some of that profit, you will find they simply
put the price up (or stop selling it altogether).

If they stop selling it, it won't be used by as many people.

If they put the price up, it will be the users who pay for the
author's cut.

The current situation means that competition keeps prices low.

If you really want to get a cut of the profit, why not start
selling CDs?

--
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.     - Benjamin Franklin

Tyson Dowd   <tyson@tyse.net>   http://tyse.net