Getting build to use default compile flags

Hi,

I am packaging the ACE (and TAO) library.  For a few weeks I've been
maintaining the ACE Configuration Project.  Basically, I've been
maintaining auto{conf,make} and libtool integration into the ACE build
tree.  The modifications are fairly stable on Linux.  Building both static
and shared libraries is done automatically.  My problem is that
Debian's build uses its own make and C flags.  How can I get build to use
the configure flags/parameters setup by the configure script.  Also, build
creates "shared" and "static" directories, however these normally aren't
necessary when building the ACE Configuration Project's ACE distribution
since the libtool integration builds shared and static libraries in a ".libs"
directory.  Can build be made to just use the default generated setup?

Build also does a "VPATH" build in 'shared' and 'static' after
configuration.  Shouldn't configuration be done from the directory in
which the package is being built.  For example,

	cd objdir
	../configure
	make

This is the way I was always led to believe to do VPATH builds.  The egcs
distribution suggests doing builds this way, for example.  Build seems to
configure from the top-level directory first.  Am I incorrect in my
analysis?

This is my first package, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your patience,
-Ossama

Ossama Othman <othman@astrosun.tn.cornell.edu>