swapon failed

All,

 When I try to (re)install Debian 2.0 I see a message saying "swap failed
device or resource busy".  This happens when I exit (menu option 4) from
the low-mem install page.  When I move on in the installation and try to
activate a previously initialized swap partition (or initialize and
activate a new swap partition) I receive the same message.  Could the
inability of the swap partition to be activated be causing a memory
allocation error I receive at boot(bash:fork: can't allocate memory)?  If
so, what should I do about it?

Appreciate your time and patience,
Kevin