Re: Recently accepted maintainers

[ Justin Maurer wrote:
> towards a tutorial on the "correct" way to make one? i apologize if this
> would be better suited towards -devel or -mentors.

Redirected to -mentors ]

Justin Maurer wrote:

> > Justin Maurer <justin@openprojects.net>
> >
> >     Justin is in the process of adopting swisswatch from Rob
> >     L. Browning, and has added debian/ dirs to ORBit (in the GNOME CVS
> >     tree).
>
> yep. i uploaded a -5 with my name on it some time ago. i did take the debian/
> stuff out of gnome cvs for various reasons. i think jim pick is taking care of
> orbit, but i've thought about asking him if i could have it.
>
> however, i am a bit concerned, since the tools i used to make my package on
> master weren't there the day after i made my swisswatch package, since
> apparently, they are obsolete/deprecated/whatever. can someone point me
> towards a tutorial on the "correct" way to make one? i apologize if this
> would be better suited towards -devel or -mentors.

I'm not sure what you're referring to.

First of all documentation of packaging technique can be found in the
Development section on our web server as well as in /pub/debian/doc/package-developer/
on the ftp archive.

If you're referring to the debstd/debmake technique, then yes it is
deprecated and you should use Joey's debhelper.  If you ask me I'd
say skip even that and write your makefiles on your own.  You can use
some of my packages as examples (I tried the debhelper a few times and
haven't converted them yet...) or look at master.debian.org/~srivasta/
where Manoj has put a bunch of good examples (at least others say they're
good, I don't know)

Regards,

	Joey

--
We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
        - Linus Torvalds