Re: New maintainer's packaging - bewildering variety of information

Some comments on the debhelper disadvantages:

Manoj Srivastava writes:
> Disadvantages:
>     i) One becomes dependent on them, and does not know what is going
>        on

try to run the helper programs with -v. You get a pretty good insight
what's happening (although this may change, when Joey is switching the
current sh implementation to perl).

>    ii) I, and a number of other people, find helper packages to be
>        less flexible than desired for complex packages; and a number
>        of people have left the helper package umbrella after gaining
>        some experience. (To be fair: lots of other people stick to
>        helper packages all through)

True, although you can save much using the debhelper options -a and -i
to act on all packages.

>   iii) Bugs in helper packages affect ones package, and one has little
>        control over the time for the fx (Joey has been wonderful so
>        far)

Yes, I have to repeat this!

>    iv) On has to learn the helper package, and what the commands do,
>        this is akin to learning a restricted language (I porefer
>        sticking to Perl, C, C++, java, sh, etc, which are usefl
>        elsewhere as well what does dh_man do[if there is a dh_man]?)

>     v) packages using helper packages depend on the version of the
>        helper package installed on the machine they are built on. So
>        your package may be built broken on a machine with an old
>        helper package version (and not build on machines like my
>        machines, since I do not install helper packages at all)

no, there's a dh_testversion program, that let's you insist on a
specific version. Agreed, that you need this version, but that doesn't
result in a broken package.