Re: config file handling

 Jens> On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Shaleh wrote:
 >> Jens Ritter wrote:
 >> > I have a gtk+ based application. You can tweak it´s looks by
 >> > changing the xlogmaster.gtkrc file. The gimp puts its file in
 >> > /usr/share/gimp/gtkrc. But I think /etc is the right place to
 >> > put it in.  Am I wrong?
 >>
 >> Personally I hate all these conf files flying around in /etc.  And
 >> the gtkrc is not a REAL conf file.  The app will run w/o it.  As
 >> opposed to say inittab or something.  So I say /usr/share is fine.
 >> Or leave it off completely.  Flames welcome (-:

 Jens> I think I will leave it off, as the default gtkrc rather spoils
 Jens> the good looks. But where should the application look for it?

I;d say /etc.  The point of putting user changeable files in /etc/ or
/var is to reduce the number of places that files will get modified.
This means /usr (along with /usr/share) can be mounted read-only on
the machine.  Also it means that /usr doesn't have to be backed up if
the user doesn't want to cause they will know nothing there has been
modified.

 Jens> Another problem arises by the "extensive" use of
 Jens> /usr/share. The fsstnd says in Section 6.4:

 Jens> "One note: no program should ever reference anything in
 Jens> /usr/share.  For instance, a manual page program should never
 Jens> directly look in /usr/share/man/man1/ls.1, but it should refer
 Jens> to /usr/man/man1/ls.1 at all times.  Anything in /usr/share
 Jens> will be "pointed to" by the use of symlinks from other areas in
 Jens> the filesystem, such as /usr/man, /usr/lib/<something>, etc."

 Jens> I have >9000 files in /usr/share but only ~30 links to it on my
 Jens> system...  (numbers by: find /usr/share | wc -l and
 Jens>  find -type l -print0 |xargs -0 ls -l |grep /usr/share)

 Jens> Has there been a policy decision to not comply to the note?

For slink (2.1) I believe we are still moving towards using the FHS
rather than FSSTND.  The FHS says it's OK and sometimes important to
use /usr/share rather than some place in /usr/lib, etc.  So I'd say
having files in /usr/share is OK because it will comply with the new
filesystem standard.

 Jens> And still, where shall I put the gtkrc file of my application
 Jens> (or the link to it)?

And you might want to leave the program looking for the gtkrc file in
/usr/share somewhere, but actually put the file in /etc, and provide a
symlink.

Dres
--
@James LewisMoss <dres@dimensional.com> |  Blessed Be!