Install problem (can't install kernel + modules)

I'm having trouble midway through the install of Debian 1.3.1.
Everything runs OK until I get to "install kernel and modules."  Whether
I try this step from files on my hard drive or from files on floppy, it
doesn't seem to work.  The step generates no error messages, but I'm
prompted that "install kernel and modules" is the next step again and
again.

If I run from floppy, this install step (unsuccesfully) "ends" almost
immediately after switching to the device disk.  Same thing if I watch
the prompts from a HD install.  Thus, I'm pretty sure that the snag lies
in installing the device modules (or detecting some devices on my
system).  But since I've tried it both ways, I think I can eliminate a
floppy error.

I used alt-F4 to look for trouble and found this:

  <6>attempt to access beyond end of device
  <6>07:00: rw=0, want=910, limit=338
  <6>attempt to access beyond end of device
  <6>07:00: rw=0, want=910, limit=338
  <6>attempt to access beyond end of device
  <6>07:00: rw=0, want=908, limit=338
  <6>attempt to access beyond end of device
  <6>07:00: rw=0, want=909, limit=338

This looks like a hard disk error to me.  (I also tried alt-F3, and
every PID was ending with exit status=0, suggesting no error.)

I continued with the remaining install procedures, and after every step,
I was always prompted to repeat 'install kernel and modules.'
Configuring the devices revealed there was nothing to configure,
naturally.  Finally, I gave up and rebooted the system after all other
steps should have been complete.  During startup, I saw the message "no
device modules installed in this kernel!"  No surprise.  (I didn't see
any other error messages.)

I checked the Hardware HOW-TO, and nothing should be causing problems.
I have a fairly plain system: Gateway 486SX-33, 20MB RAM, 2 IDE
harddrives, modem, Soundblaster (plain 8-bit).  I tried install first
with my internal cache enabled, and again with it disabled.  No change.
I tried install with my modem removed -- no change.  If it really is a
hard drive problem, here's more info:

Master -- DOS, C:, 240 MB
Slave  --          405 MB

I first used FIPS on drive D: to end up with a 110MB DOS partion on
/dev/hdb1, a 20MB swap partion on /dev/hdb2, a 50MB root partition on
/dev/hdb3/, and a 205MB /usr partition on /dev/hdb4.  I did surface
scans when initializing the partitions, but found no errors or bad
blocks.

I also reformatted drive D: using DOS fdisk (instead of FIPS) to create
110MB partiton.  No change.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks,

Derek Brown
brownd@boo.net