Re: ongoing support for bo/libc5

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Jim wrote:

> tmancill wrote:
> > But the more I think about it, the more I believe
> > that there will be a large number of router admins out there who won't be
> > jumping to upgrade to hamm.
>
> There is a mechanism installed to allow this kind of thing...
>
> You can compile your packages for hamm; this is a good thing because hamm is
> about to be the stable release. In addition, you can, if you want, also compile
> it for bo and have it be in a place called bo-unstable.

Do I compile twice and generate .debs for both releases with the same
version number?  i.e.  a wanpipe_2.0.1-3_i386.deb that gets uploaded into
bo and then another into hamm?

What happens when people upgrade from bo to hamm?  Will dselect install
wanpipe_2.0.1-3.deb(hamm) to upgrade wanpipe_2.0.1-3(bo) based on the
overall release, or do the package version numbers have to differ?

> Most developers are busy enough with their own events plus maintaining for
> hamm/2.0. For this reason, it's considered absolutely optional to put any
> package into bo-unstable.

Good to know - this case is sort of special because I'll be running bo for
quite some time yet.

> > Q:  Is anyone else faced with parallel development/release for libc5 and
> > libc6?  Do they distribute different packages, or the same package with
> > different rev numbers?  Is there a point at which SPI/Debian is going to
> > completely discontinue support for bo?
>
> Yes; they distribute different packages if they contain machine dependencies, or just one if the package is totally independant of architecture, which they would be if, say, they were text files, shell scripts or interpreter scripts; note that libc4 support still remains in oldlibs.

(Whoops - I should have read ahead.)  If I distribute different packages,
is there a mechanism to automatically replace bo-pkg-X with hamm-pkg-Y
when I upgrade?

TIA for the help

tony mancill               |  tmancill@us.lhsgroup.com
LHS Communications         |  Give me ambiguity or give me something else...