Re: Uploading packages

On Sun, May 24, 1998 at 04:20:34PM +0200, joost@pc47.mpn.cp.philips.com wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > On Sat, May 23, 1998 at 02:27:26PM +0200, Bart Warmerdam wrote:
> >
> > > Its a direct-to-disk recorder and contains:
> > > 	record (no cdrom support), cdrom-record and play-sample
> >
> > Hello Bart!
> >
> > I'm a bit scared to ask, because I don't want to start a thread, but are
> > these the names of the executables?
> >
> > The reason I ask is becasue it is depreciated to use dictionary words,
> > because of namespace wasting... well, especially "record" seems to be too
> > general.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Using generic names is not a bad thing, claiming them is.

Hello Joost!

Could you elaborate a bit on what you mean? Do you mean that generic names
are useful for things like "editor", that are provided by
update-alternatives?

What I meant is, that it would be unfortunate for an editor program to be
called "editor" or "edit". I like the idea of "editor" in the sense of a
meta-name for all editors via update-alternatives, but this only works when
there are a lot of programs with the same scope. And the "editor" name is
provided by Debian, not upstream.

> Maybe you should have a look at update-alternatives.

I doubt that the various recording programs are similar enough for
update-alternatives...

Marcus