First package: A library

I am intending to Debianize oo2c, an optimizing Oberon-2 to C compiler.
A new version is near release, according to the upline maintainer, therefore
in the meantime I thought I would begin by Debianizing gc, Boehm's garbage
collector for C/C++, upon which oo2c depends.

So, jumping in with both feet, I went ahead and extracted the source and
ran deb-make in directory 'gc-4.13alpha1'.

In the debian subdirectory, the control file designated the Source: as
'gc' (and this seems quite correct), and two Package:'s were designated
'gc1-dev' and 'gc1'.

So my initial question is, should these packages be named 'gc1' or 'gc',
or perhaps 'gc4.13alpha1'?

Unfortunately, the NMDPH is not very informative on this point, as it
states 'Library packages and other sorts need some special work that
I'm not qualified to explain.'

So what special work do library packages need, before I get in too far
over my head?

Thanks.

--
Mike Goldman