Re: Why does `guile-1.2' have `libguile.so.2.0.0'?

karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:

>  Why is the library numbered as .so.2.0.0, rather than as `.so.1.2.0'?
>
>  I would like to rename it, to `.so.1.2.0', and make the snapshot be
>  `.so.1.3.1'.  Is there a way to do that without causing lots of
>  problems?
>
>  It would be good to have the library bear the actual version number,
>  and to make it possible for both to coexist.

No!  Don't do that.

The version number of the library doesn't have to match the version
number of the whole package.

The library version is determined upstream.  A new major number on the
library means it is incompatible with previous versions.

So a .so.2.x.x library is incompatible with a .so.1.x.x. library.

If the snapshot guile packages also provide a .so.2.x.x library, you
should use just use that one for the libguile2 library, as it is
supposed to be compatible.  If it isn't, you will need to inform the
upstream guys to increase the version number on the library.

Cheers,

 - Jim