Re: Packaging strategy for dict

On Thu, Mar 26, 1998 at 09:20:38PM -0500, Bob Hilliard wrote:
>      I am packaging the client/server software from the Dict Project
> <www.dict/.org>.  The client program queries a server, either on the
> local host, a local network, or the internet, and receives the
> response by TCP.
>
>      Some users would prefer to use the client only, and access a
> server on their local network or on the internet, while others would
> prefer to set up their own server.
>
>      Would it be preferable to make two packages, one containing only
> the client and the other containing the server, or make one package
> containing both client and server?  If making two packages is the
> preferred solution, should the server package contain both server and
> client, or should it only contain the server?

Yes, please create two packages.  The client might suggest the server
but not depend on it and don't contain it - nor vice versa.

>      The debian/rules file can be written to produce both packages.
> In such a case would the uploaded package consist of one source package
> and two .debs ?

Yes, just like several other packages like gpm, roxen, msql, mysql,
xfree86, postgresql etc. etc.

Regards,

	Joey

 /           Experience is a useful thing.  Unfortunately it is  /
/             only acquired just after one could have used it.  /