Re: Getting started - Q about post int procedures etc.

[You (Sudhakar Chandrasekharan)]
>So finally I have located a package (xdir) that nobody is working on.  I
>want to build a test package and see if I am qualified enough to become a
>official Debian developer.  Here is what I do -
>
>1. tar zxvf the package.
>2. cd directory_of_package
>3. deb-make

This is odd.  Are you working on fixing an old package or are you
creating a package from scratch?  If the latter, please try out dh-make.
If the former, you should be unpackage the debian source in the following
way:

dpkg-source -x <package>_VER.dsc
cd <package>

BTW, I don't use deb-make, or debmake, or any of that.  So I might be
misinterpreting what you're doing here.

>4. cd debian
>5. rm *.ex

Huh?  Why?

>	This is a x package for which I need to add a menu entry.  Is it enough
> if
>I just edit the menu.ex file?  Would dpkg automagically know how to add the
>menu entry?

No, dpkg doesn't know squat about that.  It's up to the debian/rules file
to move the menu.ex file into the proper place, probably
debian/tmp/usr/lib/menu/package

>6. build
>7. dpkg --install fooBar.deb

>I think the best way for me to learn would probably be by extracting
>everything from a similar .deb package.  How do I extract the contents of a
>.deb package?  I am not talking about dpkg --exctract.  Obviously the
>creator of a package has to have some way to inform dpkg to add the menu
>entry.

Yes.  To expand a debian source package, you need the .dsc, the .diff.gz,
and the .orig.tar.gz files.  Then you do 'dpkg-source -x BLAH.dsc'.

>Also, what is a good document to read to get started.  I have already read
>the Debian Developers Reference and the New Package Maintainer's Debian
>Packaging HOWTO.

The Debian Packaging Manual is really the best thing to read.
I still refer to it quite often.