Re: gv depends on ghostscript, which depends on gsfonts

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Anthony Fok wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 28, 1998 at 05:31:51PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
> >  [ cc'd to _debian-mentors_.  *Please advise*.
> >   This is concerning:
> >   <URL:http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/18/18026.html> ]
> >
> >  Please Cc: pertinent responses to 18026@bugs.debian.org.
> >
> >  Checking, I find that `gs-aladdin 5.10-3' and `gs 3.33-6' both have
> >  "Recommends:" dependencies on `gsfonts'.  Perhaps these should be
> >  "Requires:" rather than "Recommends:"?  Why are they "Recommends:"
> >  right now?
>
> Read the definitions of "Recommends:" and "Depends:" in the Debian Policy
> Manual and you will understand why.  <grin>  Recommends is correct,
> AFAIK.

This is also my opinion: gs can work also without fonts (most of the ps
files define contain the definition of the fonts they use).

Anyways, as jens says, it is possible to set up gs | gs-aladdin to use
e.g. the fonts of X. More in general, a better management for the gs
fonts is required (i.e., scripts to install/deinstall families of fonts).
I am working on this, but this will require some time...

Ciao,

Marco