Re: conventions for packaging.

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > Yes that sounds useful. I know that your pdmenu supports popping
> > up a box to ask for parameters; I would assume that there's nothing
> > in the Debian menu system to tell the menu system to do this though
> > because it would not be supported by the various X window managers
> > (not without a lot of work, anyway). Right?
>
> Yes. I think a few windowmanagers (like maybe wmaker, certinly fvwm2 with
> some of it's modules, etc) could handle it, but there's so much variation,
> nobodies tried to do anything along those lines.

That's okay, I've contacted the upstream author and have asked then if
they could modify the X interface so that it can be invoked without a
hostname.

Okay, I've managed to build my .deb and the related source packages.
Something that I am confused about is the original source tar.gz - I
initalliy had mtr-0.14.orig.tar.gz (which extracts into mtr-0.14.orig/)
after the sudo build process I end up with mtr_0.14.orig.tar.gz which
extracts into the same directory.

Do I need both? Can I simply have the orig tar.gz extract into mtr-0.14?
[I've just tested, and it appears I need the _ version if I want diffs
generated; and that deb-make will merrily create the underscore version
for me.].

My final quetion is now: how critical is it that my package by generated
on a hamm system? I currently only have a bo system, should I apply for an
account on master and do the package generate their? (is it a hamm system)
Or should I wait until boot disks for hamm become available?

Regards,
Anand.

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are