Re: A question.

On 14-Feb-1998, Ender Wigin <ewigin@SoftHome.net> wrote:

> Ok, I found a maintainer who will sign my pgp signiture ... but both of us
> are lost as to what exactly we have to do to "sign" a signature... Here is
> what he thought was the right way to do it.
>
> "I'll come over with my public key. We will compare id's, and then, if
> you want, you can sign my public key. You'll also give me a copy of
> your public key, for me to bring home and sign. Then I email you the
> signed copy of your public key (the email being signed and encrypted, of
> course). Does this sound right? I'm a little leery of the need to add
> my secret key to your machine in order for me to sign your key, which
> appears to be what is needed from my reading of the docs. I could be
> wrong, so if there is a better way, let me know."
>
> Is this the "right way"(tm) to do this ... is there a better way? ...
> Thanks...

Here's what was used when I did it. This works for groups as well:

	- Before meeting exchange keys via email, or whatever.
	  (You might want to download them from the keyserver).
	  If there are lots of people, get one person to co-ordinate this
	  -- they should send out lists of names, key IDs and email
	  addresses, and prepare a "keyring" with all the participants
	  keys in it.
	- Everybody meets.
	  Each person reads out their KeyID (from their own records, to
	  make sure the co-ordinator isn't swindling anyone),
	  and shows you their photo ID (to make sure they aren't
	  swindling anyone).
	- If you are certain they are who they say they are (e.g. the
	  photo ID looks authentic), write down their KeyID and name.
	  It's nice if the co-ordinator sends you a list in advance,
	  then you can just tick them off.
	- Go home and sign whichever keys you have ticked or written
	  down. Make sure the keys on the keyring match the KeyIDs
	  you have written down.
	- Upload the signed keys to a keysever.

I found it was actually easier to scan and send it some photo Id with
your keyID written next to it. But it isn't as social.