Re: autopkgtest-pkg-pybuild

Hi all,

Michael R. Crusoe, on 2024-02-27:
> On Tue 27 Feb 2024, 20:20 Andreas Tille, <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> > I just learned about
> >
> >    Testsuite: autopkgtest-pkg-pybuild
> >
> > in your commit.  Could you please (on the mailing list) be more verbose
> > about this?  Routine-update is adding autopkgtest-pkg-python by default?
> > Is this an outdated strategy we should change?

> I find autopkgtest-pkg-pybuild to often be superior, but it can't be
> enabled automatically like the -python version as it won't work
> automatically nearly as often without additional configuration like the
> "-python" version.

I also begun to introduce autopkgtest-pkg-pybuild in a couple of
packages (mostly my newer ones that made it in the Debian Python
Team umbrella).  The main improvement is that this allows,
almost for free, running the dh_auto_test suite in autopkgtest
context, which is a non-trivial improvement over the basic
offered by the autopkgtest-pkg-python test suite.

I write "almost for free", because things work when resorting
only to pybuild to run the test suite (configuration using the
environment variables like PYBUILD_TEST_ARGS are properly taken
in account in such context), and some files necessary for
running the test suite may need to be copied over manually in a
special d/rules target "before-pybuild-autopkgtest".  You can
refer to python-parsl d/rules file for example[1], and to
pybuild-autopkgtest(1) manual[2] for further details.

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/packages/python-parsl/-/blob/debian/master/debian/rules?ref_type=heads
[2]: https://manpages.debian.org/bookworm/dh-python/pybuild-autopkgtest.1.en.html

Have a nice day,  :)
--
  .''`.  Étienne Mollier <emollier@debian.org>
 : :' :  pgp: 8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da