Re: canu

Hi Tony,

Am Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 11:13:13AM +0000 schrieb Tony Travis:
> What's the status of "canu"?

Since canu has a test suite issue on arm64 a bug was filed[1].
Since we have no idea about this issue the forwarded the problem
upstream[2].

> The "canu" package in Debian-Med appears to be broken under Ubuntu 22.04 and

Sorry "broken under Ubuntu 22.04" is not a helpful information.  While
on several Debian forums you get the answer "this is Debian if you have
a problem with Ubuntu ... blabla" you know that you are welcome here
with questions.  However, we do not have a magic ball to guess what
exactly is broken.  Please provide as minimum some command line and the
output to enable us reproducing what exactly is broken.  Under Debian
on amd64 architecture its definitely not "obviously" broken since it
is passing its CI test on this architecture which you are most probably
using.

> I see that it has been marked for removal in Nov 2023:

This is due to a CI test issue on arm64 (see also discussion with
upstream[2] which explains, that this issue seems to occure only under
specific CI circumstances).  This again raises the question:  What is
broken for you and do you possibly want to report this in an upstream
issue?

> > https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/canu
>
> @Andreas, I've now removed the "canu" package and followed your advice about
> installing "canu" under "bioconda3":

I *never ever* gave any advise to use bioconda.

> > https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/canu
>
> However, I would be interested to know if you have any plans to package it
> again for Debian-Med?

Canu is and remains packaged for Debian Med.  Since you are using Ubuntu
which derives from Unstable you will not even miss it even if the package
might be removed from testing (which the bug you read is about).

In short: Please be more verbose about your problem.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/1052347
[2] https://github.com/marbl/canu/issues/2271