Re: libcifpp updated, new soname, review requested

Hi Maarten,

Maarten L. Hekkelman, on 2023-09-14:
> There is a new version of libcifpp in salsa. Based on a new upstream and
> with lots of documentation. This package also has a new SONAME and therefore
> my kind request: could someone with the proper privileges review this
> package and upload it.

Thank you for your time and efforts on the continuous
maintenance of the libcifpp.  Since the SONAME bump will
introduce a round trip through NEW, I focused my review on
copyright pickiness, so it does not have to go through several
review cycles by ftpmaster.  Let's try to make it a single
round:

 1. The two following files have been introduced in version 5.2
    and would need dedicated entries in d/copyright since they
    declare being licensed under Boost Software License 1.0
    (careful not to make a single paragraph, as copyright
    holders are not exactly the same, although a concatenation
    of holders of both files may be tolerable):

        cmake/GetGitRevisionDescription.cmake
        cmake/GetGitRevisionDescription.cmake.in

 2. The holder of the following file went back in time in 2021,
    but the stamp in d/copyright doesn't go as far in the past:

        cmake/VersionString.cmake

    Reading further, these go as far as 2020:

        include/cif++/pdb/pdb2cif.hpp
        include/cif++/utilities.hpp
        src/pdb/pdb2cif_remark_3.hpp

    So it might be worth extending the range of dates for all
    files to 2020-2023 to be on the safe side in my opinion.

There could be other issues, as I have only reviewed through the
source differences since version 5.0.7.1, but that may be a good
start.

Please also have a look at lintian warnings and informational
messages, and see whether the noise could be reduced a bit.  For
instance, I spent some time on bash-term-in-posix-shell until I
noticed it was a false positive, so it might be worth wrapping
up an override, commented with a justification why the situation
is so.  Also, the standards version can probably be bumped to
the current 4.6.2[1].

[1]: https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.html#version-4-6-2

Hope this helps,
--
  .''`.  Étienne Mollier <emollier@debian.org>
 : :' :  gpg: 8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da