Re: Request for Sponsorship: VeryFastTree - Parallelized and Optimized Version of FastTree

Hi César,

thanks again for working on this package.

Am Mon, Jul 03, 2023 at 11:45:07PM +0200 schrieb César Pomar:
> I have already updated the GitHub repository. I updated the xxhash and
> robin-map libraries to their latest versions and adjusted the source code
> to avoid issues.

Very good.  This kind of cooperation with upstream is IMHO a very
valuable (and perfectly intended) effect of the Debian Med project.
I've adapted the packaging to use the Debian packaged libs.

> Now we can remove them in Debian and use the packages. I
> also fixed the linking error in the CMakeLists file and, by the way,
> allowed default values in CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS, which I suppose was causing the
> blhc failure. If you believe that there is nothing else to add, tell me,
> and I will proceed with creating the 4.0.1 release.

Sounds pretty much a sensible point to add a new release tag.  However,
there is some issue with the CI test you suggested.  I followed your
suggestion to do the very same test as for fasttree[1].  Unfortunately
this results in

  TopHits: 1.00*sqrtN close=default refresh=0.80
  ML Model: Jones-Taylor-Thorton, CAT approximation with 20 rate categories
  Error parsing header line:

as you can see in the log on salsa[2].

> In the Salsa repository, I tried to modify the rules to ignore AVX2 with
> ARM, but for some reason, it doesn't seem to recognize the DEB_BUILD_ARCH
> variable and always uses it. Did I forget something?. I haven't tested it,
> but otherwise, the source code should be compatible with ARM.

I did not checked (yet) but you might like to have a look into
SIMDEverywhere[3]

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/veryfasttree/-/blob/master/debian/tests/run-unit-test
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/veryfasttree/-/jobs/4394674
[3] https://wiki.debian.org/SIMDEverywhere