Re: dssp

Hi Maarten,

On 2022-11-24 14:01, Maarten L. Hekkelman wrote:
We're getting closer to finishing all the tools that depend on libcifpp. However, there's one small issue left.

I've split dssp into a library and a wrapper. Currently, I create a static library and this is used by the tool tortoize. I can make this a shared library, as it is preferred in Debian, but then I guess I will have to send it to NEW? Of can I simply include a shared library into a package that is already in Debian?

Shared libraries usually are put into libs packages on their own, thus it seems that in this case dssp would have to pass NEW to add that.

And suppose this is not allowed, is it allowed then to include a static library instead?

Yes, it is OK to include the static library. However, since the static library is going to be needed only to build tortoize and maybe some other tools, I guess it will be rarely used by end users. In cases like this it is then better to have a separate libdssp-dev package just to save space for our end users. But adding libdssp-dev requires pass through NEW, so why not switch to a shared library then.

I guess for the time being putting the static library in bin:dssp is OK. This would save us additional worry for current libcifpp/libpdb-redo transition. But after this is done, dssp could be split.

By the way, current NEW processing speed is amazing. Kudos to ftpmaster!

Best wishes,
Andrius