Re: Advice needed: building new gatk-bwamem-jni against another version of bwa

On 3/13/22 8:05 PM, Pierre Gruet wrote:
What should I do? My proposal would be to design a multiple upstream tarball for gatk-bwamem-jni: original one + the sources at the tip of the Apache2 branch of bwa.> It would build a libbwa.a lib which would not be installed in /usr/lib, but in a private directory of gatk-bwamem-jni.
By doing so, I would not interfere with the currently Debian-packaged bwa and I would also be able to build, run and ship gatk-bwamem-jni... which would, still, be independent of the bwa that is shipped in Debian.
Does this seem sensible?

Introducing code copies in packages are bad for several reasons - for instance, possible security issues in the embedded copy that would
go into next stable release; and hence this should be the last resort.
Probably the better thing to do would be to instead talk to upstream about it and ask them to port the code to latest bwa versions.
If the ETA is sensible, it makes sense to wait; however if nothing else works, vendoring should work as you proposed.

If you want a multi-orig solution, please do it programmatically with d/watch and d/gbp.conf as for instance done in JS team[1]

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/Javascript/GroupSourcesTutorial#Manual_way

Regards,
Nilesh