Re: autopkgtest requiring large data sets (pique, hinge)

On 21/12/2021 21:12, Steven Robbins wrote:
On Tuesday, December 21, 2021 10:22:49 A.M. CST Nilesh Patra wrote:
On 12/21/21 9:00 PM, Pierre Gruet wrote:
On 21/12/2021 14:33, Lance Lin wrote:
Debian Medical Team,

I have started looking at adding autopkgtest suites for a variety of
packages. Two of the packages (hinge, pique) require very large data
sets to run their included examples.>>
The sizes are several GB.

I would second that. If possible, ask upstream for sensible data size that
is manageable under a few MBs.

I understand the motivation here -- it is unwieldy and unusual to have GB-
sized test data.  Irrespective of what I write below, it is always nice to
have a "small" smoke-test data set so I support asking upstream in that
spirit.

It may be the case that upstream is able to get the same code coverage out of
a smaller test data set.  Or maybe they can get a reduced-but-still-useful
coverage.

But in the days of "big data", it might be the case that testing the software
really requires a big dataset.  What are Debian's options for this?

Hi, Steve.

I'm the author of PIQUE - In fact the dataset that I use to test PIQUE is small in comparison to the datasets that we normally use for GWAS and I included a Makefile to download it, rather than including it in the repo.

Bye,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis@minke-informatics.co.uk