Re: Project proposal for the Debian Med group

On 17/11/2021 08:49, Guido Rovera wrote:
Dear Debian Med members,
I hope this email finds you well, and that your projects are running smoothly. Since I haven't heard back from you, I would like to know if there is anyone interested in the "TechneNotes" project (https://grovera.gitlab.io/technenotes/ <https://grovera.gitlab.io/technenotes/>)
[...]

Hi, Guido.
I cloned the GitHub repo and tried to install the software when you posted your previous message, but I found it very difficult to build and install (there is no .deb package available AFAIK). It is not by any means a 'simple' solution to the problem of documenting your own work.

I use the "zim" personal Wiki for this purpose which, although it is not ideal, is very simple to install from the Debian/Ubuntu repo's and easy to use. I have been looking for a better alternative and was keen to try out "Technotes". However, I have given up because it's too complicated.

May I suggest you look at "cherrytree" as an alternative to "Technotes", because it looks quite similar and is more advanced than "Zim". It is also available in the Debian/Ubuntu repo's. It is possible to import notes from "Zim" into "cherrytree" and I am evaluating it for my own work. This is the "cherrytree" website:

https://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/

Also have a look at some alternatives to "cherrytree":

https://alternativeto.net/software/cherrytree/

HTH,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis@minke-informatics.co.uk