Re: Debian maintainer for MRIcron

Hi Chris,

[Debian Med mailing list in CC since you wrote you tried to
contact the list I think it is fine to quote you here.]

Am Mo., 15. Nov. 2021 um 20:02 Uhr schrieb Rorden, Chris <
RORDEN@mailbox.sc.edu>:
> 1.  Thanks!

You are welcome.

> 2. Would you be willing to assume the role of maintainer?

The Debian Med team is the "Maintainer" and we have two "Uploaders" - I
know Michael and Yaroslav confirmed they are not working on lots of their
packages any more.  That's why the team cares for these packages usually
and a ping via mail will usually trigger some response.

> 3. I have actually sent a couple of emails to the list and heard nothing.
> It is unclear if they reached the list.

I do not remember any mail about mricron in the last couple of months.  You
can always check the archive at
    https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/

> While I subscribe to the list and see others posts, I can not find a way
> to review prior messages (including my own) to the list. Is it possible to
> view previous messages to the list on Google Groups?

There is no need to be subscribed to the list to be able to post to the
list (even if we like if interested users are lurking on the list).  I'm
not aware of any connection between this list and Google Groups and I doubt
that anybody is connecting Debian services with Google services. ;-)

> 4. As another ask, would you help me package my “MRIcroGL” software for
> Debian? It is very similar to “MRIcron” but leverages OpenGL for hardware
> accelerated graphics.
>   https://github.com/rordenlab/MRIcroGL

We can do this together in some
    https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/MoM/-/wikis/home
project - please read the intro and tell me if you like this.

> The repository includes a folder “Debian” that includes my best effort at
> defining the icon, desktop file, and control files.

While I appreciate your effort to bring this code closer to Debian we
usually recommend to maintain the Debian packaging separately since
packaging is something else than upstream code.  We can clarify this in
the Mentoring of the Month project if you like this.

> On Nov 15, 2021, at 1:54 PM, Andreas Tille <tillea@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris,
> well, I have a `routine-update` script and with the information "no
patches needed" this went very quickly and thus I uploaded.
> However, in future please rather write to
>      debian-med@lists.debian.org
> which is a publicly archived list and all team members can read your
information ... and so we can share the tasks.

RORDEN@mailbox.sc.edu>:

>> Andreas,
>>
>> While MRIcron is included with Debian, it is no longer up to date, and
lacks a maintainer.
>>   https://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/imaging
>> I have updated the source code so it no longer needs special patches for
Debian. This should make it easier to maintain going forward. I did try to
integrate the advice of Debian experts in updating everything:
>>  https://github.com/neurolabusc/MRIcron/issues/18
>>
>> I realize that you have a lot of other tasks, so this may not be a
priority for you. However, it would be great if you would consider this
role.

----- Ende weitergeleitete Nachricht -----