Re: Please track you new packages in Blends tasks (Was: pullseq_1.0.2-1_amd64.changes is NEW)

Hi Nilesh,

On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 04:48:39PM +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:
> > Definitely.  The toolset will deal with this.  The code to generate the
> > metapackages will decrease any Recommends that can not be resolved in
> > *testing* to Suggests automatically.  So even if we might loose some
> > packages due to RC bugs (I guess dicompyler is some candidate for this
> > due to [2]) the metapackages will be re-rendered short before the real
> > release to reflect this loss.  There is no need to edit the tasks file
> > for this.
>
> Alright, but what tasks should I add in there? I
> pushed a lot of stuff to NEW in the past few days (some of which has
> even been accepted)
> So which packages are of more relevance? All? Only those on the
> spreadsheet? Which ones?

You are asking the same question I'm asking myself over and over.  I'm
not happy at all with the current throw anything into bio / bio-dev
approach.  But since you and I are lacking bioinformatics knowledge and
none of the bioinformaticians here has dedicated a sufficient amount of
time to fix this situation I see no better solution than doing it in
this way.  The point is that lots of our QA tools are relying on the
blends technology.  Leaving any relevant package out here will hide them
from dedicated views.

To enable the QA tools for all packages and present all our packages to
our users, I use bio and bio-dev for user oriented bioinformatics
applications and development tools of such applications respectively.
If the software is mentioned in the spreadsheet I also add the package
also to the covid-19 task.

That's the bare minimum.  If I'm very sure that a package fits to ngs
or phylogeny I add them *in addition* to bio.  These tasks were created
once bit are *not* properly maintained (which is a shame).  The cloud
task is a collection of application that are not featuring a graphical
interface.  I'm not convinced that this is a good categorisation but
it exists (and is similarly unmaintained as ngs and phylogeny).

If you have any idea how to enhance this situation this should be done
soon after bullseye release - but for now we should avoid heavy changes.

> > Please use "Suggests" *only* if the package is of
> > some lower relevance for the task.
>
> How do I ascertain the relevance?

If in doubt use Recommends.