Re: disulfinder: ftbfs with GCC-11

On 10/22/21 9:23 PM, Étienne Mollier wrote:
Hi Nilesh,

Nilesh Patra, on 2021-10-22:
looks like C++17 has removed the provision to specify custom
exceptions, and there are a lot of errors like the one above.
In this case, does it makes sense to force C++14 standard
(with chnages in d/rules or with patches) in such cases and
ask upstream to clean these up? Or do I miss a relatively easy
solutions?

It depends.  If I read correctly the porting guide to Gcc 11 [1]
and if the number of occurrence of the issue is reasonable, then
you can just patch the throw(BadOptionSetting) occurrences to
replace them by noexcept(false).  If the number of occurrences
is too high to make a patch viable, then similarly to mothur,
the advice from Aaron M. Ucko applies: informing upstream and
temporarily getting back to C++14 is probably the saner course
of action.

Maketh sense, thanks for explaining.
I guess the main problem here will be with dead upstreams, which have a number of these occurances,
looks like we need to propagate hacks (probably for a very long time) for these cases.

For disulfinder, the patch does not look as simple as changing 3 lines, so I'm admittedly tempted to
force c++14 here :-P

Nilesh