Re: Do users know about README.Debian and /usr/share/doc/packagename (Was: libcifpp)

Hie Pierre,

Am Mon, Oct 04, 2021 at 09:18:32PM +0200 schrieb Pierre Gruet:
> This is interesting, thanks for sharing this information. Actually I cannot
> say I am surprised.
>
> Do you know if users read our manpages? I feel we can expect /some/ users
> will type
>
>     man command
>
> if something is not working as expected, but for sure not all of them will.

The users *I* interviewed are not aware that there are manpages and
despite I told them they probably forgot in the mean time.  However,
I'm not sure whether I picked a representative set of users.

> Have you sometimes used debconf to spread information?

Extremely rarely if I felt the system admin should know something.  Not
to be read by users.

> This (or debian/NEWS)
> gives a chance to reach some end users at the cost of implementing the
> debconf mechanism / writing a NEWS text. But if they skip the information
> and do not know about the /usr/share/doc/packagename directory...

I'm using debian/NEWS from time to time if I feel the need but more to
do my "duty as Debian Developer" not because I hope the message is
received by those who should know.

> I am interested in ideas or comments on this issue!

I'm interested as well.