Re: ont-fast5-api (Was: libvbz-hdf-plugin (Was: CuteSV))

On Wed, 26 May, 2021, 1:21 pm Andreas Tille, <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi Nilesh,

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 03:22:21AM +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:
> > I've commited some changes to ont-fast5-api.  When I try to run any
> > of the scripts installed into the package I get:
> >
> >     pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'progressbar33>=2.3.1' distribution was not found and is required by ont-fast5-api
>
> I fixed this one, and pushed to salsa. It builds, tests run and looks usable.

Thanks for this.

> However, one problem - I'm being verbose so we are in loop:
>
> - This package had .so files vendored in ont_fast5_api/vbz_plugin/* -- this is a violation, and hence you repacked it - see this[1]
> - The so files it had, are basically the shared object files that libvbz-hdf-plugin vendors, and that was why we packaged it
> - *Now*, we need to somehow tell this package to find the .so files at the right location
>
> I did not manage to do that, so I simply ended up symlinking the .so vendored by libvbz-hdf-plugin in that directory. This looks like a bad workaround,
> and hence if you have some way to fixup paths, please have a look.
> The bad change I'm talking about is this one[2]

I see what you mean after disabling this hack locally.  I need to admit
that I have no idea how to do this properly.  I would recommend to ask
at debian-mentors and/or debian-python list whether someone might have a
better understanding where Python is seeking for *.so plugins.

Admittedly, I wouldn't have much time in the coming days to do mail/ask around - real life is taking over.

Would you mind asking/seeking help around for how to do this properly?

I'd be really happy if you could finalise this  and upload as well. Apologies if this is too much hassle.

Nilesh